A variety of factors can be the cause of your slow-draining toilet. In most cases, identifying the specific issue requires some investigation. Here are some common reasons why your toilet may be draining slowly:
- Clogged Drain: Your drain pipe might be clogged for several reasons, such as accumulating toilet paper, hair, soap scum or even foreign objects. Over some time, these blockages can restrict the flow of water, which causes slow drainage.
- Partial Blockage: A partial blockage in your main sewer line may also be the reason that causes slow drainage in your toilet. If this is the case, it may also affect other fixtures as well.
- Ventilation Issues: Proper ventilation is essential in plumbing systems to let air into the drain pipes. A common issue in older plumbing systems is that the drain pipes get blocked or obstructed, creating a vacuum effect that slows down the drain.
- Toilet Trap Issues: Toilet trap refers to the curved section in your toilet drain. If it is improperly installed or is damaged, this may also slow down your drain.
- Old or Faulty Toilet: If you have an older or faulty toilet, it may not have a strong enough flush to clear all the waste. When this builds up, it may impede your drainage.
- Sewer Line Problems: On some occasions, slow drainage might be an indication that there may be an underlying issue with your main sewer line. This may include tree root intrusion, collapse or even deterioration.
Here are some tips you can try for you to identify and determine the exact cause of your slow drainage:
- Plunger: To dislodge any potential blockages, you can attempt to use a toilet plunger. To do so, ensure you have a good seal around the drain opening, then apply a firm but controlled pressure.
- Check Other Drains: Look around your house and see if the other drains have the same issue. If this is the case, the main sewer line may have an issue.
- Vent Inspection: Sometimes, the build-up debris or animal nests may obstruct your roof vent for your plumbing system.
- Professional Help: We advise contacting a professional plumber if you’re struggling to identify or resolve the issue. Professional plumbers have the expertise and the right equipment to diagnose and fix complex problems.
It is crucial that you exercise caution when you’re working with plumbing. We always recommend that you seek professional assistance to avoid causing further damage that can incur more costs or, worse, create safety hazards.
Speak to our team members to receive professional advice. Get in touch with us now by calling 02 9521 8197.